Enjoy 51 sweet quotes about one of life’s guilty pleasures. . .sugar!
I don’t know about you, but I have a real sweet tooth. That’s probably evident from all of my recipes. This entire blog is dedicated to sweets, after all!
Sugar gets a bad rap but for there’s a reason we enjoy it so much. Life is hard. Sugar (whether it’s real of proverbial) sweetens things up.
With that in mind I decided to put together a master list of quotes about sugar. I had a lot of fun looking these up. Before we dive in, let’s look at sugar’s journey to the sweet treat we enjoy today.
The History of Sugar
According to sugar.org:
Sugar is one of the world’s oldest documented commodities, and at one time, it was so valuable that people locked it up in a sugar safe!
Sugar dates back to 8000 B.C. (Before Christ). Yes, you read that right. People have been enjoying sweets, almost from the beginning of time.
According to Wikipedia:
The history of sugar has five main phases:
- The extraction of sugar cane juice from the sugarcane plant, and the subsequent domestication of the plant in tropical India and Southeast Asia sometime around 4,000 BC.
- The invention of manufacture of cane sugar granules from sugarcane juice in India a little over two thousand years ago, followed by improvements in refining the crystal granules in India in the early centuries AD.
- The spread of cultivation and manufacture of cane sugar to the medieval Islamic world together with some improvements in production methods.
- The spread of cultivation and manufacture of cane sugar to the West Indies and tropical parts of the Americas beginning in the 16th century, followed by more intensive improvements in production in the 17th through 19th centuries in that part of the world.
- The development of beet sugar, high-fructose corn syrup and other sweeteners in the 19th and 20th centuries.
This sweet treat has been celebrated for thousands of years. And now, just for fun, let’s look at some entertaining quotes about our favorite sweet treat!
Sugar Quotes to Enjoy
1. Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down. Richard M Sherman.
2. If God hadn’t meant for us to eat sugar, He wouldn’t have invented dentists. – Ralph Nader
3. Life is like a cup of tea, the sugar is all at the bottom. – Julia Ward Howe
4. Every cookie is a sugar cookie. A cookie without sugar is a cracker. – Gary Gulman
5. Let me tell you, I’m not sure if America runs on donuts, but I sure do! Nothin’ like a little simple sugar icing to get the blood pumping at 9:00 A.M. – Chris Benz
6. When my son was little, he asked me: ‘Daddy, which is worser, sugar or salt?’ I still don’t know the answer.’ – Tom Frieden
7. There is sugar in everything. It doesn’t matter what you eat in life, there is sugar in it. – Adriano Zumbo
8. Everybody’s got their poison, and mine is sugar.
9. You don’t have to sugar coat things for kids. If you make something for them with intelligence they will show that intelligence in ways that will sometimes shock you. – Alex Hirsch
10. If you needed to borrow a cup of sugar, you knocked on your neighbour’s door. – Gaby Hoffmann
11. You can’t make everybody happy. You’re not sugar.
12. No more sugar-coating; enjoy the real deal
13. Never underestimate the power of sugar.
14. You are too sweet to handle my sugar.
15. A wise woman puts a grain of sugar into everything she says to a man, and takes a grain of salt with everything he says to her. – Helen Rowland
16. Eighteenth-century doctors prescribed sugar pills for nearly everything: heart problems, headache, consumption, labor pains, insanity, old age, and blindness. Hence, the French expression ‘like an apothecary without sugar’ meant someone in an utterly hopeless situation. – Tom Reiss
17. Sugar is my spirit animal.
18. Growing up we used to put Saltines in a bowl with milk and dump a bunch of sugar on it and eat it as cereal. – Patti Harrison
19. America ships tons of sugar cookies to Denmark and Denmark ships tons of sugar cookies to America. Wouldn’t it be more efficient just to swap recipes? – Michael Pollan
20. Give me some sugar.
21. Pretty please with sugar on top?
22. For all the sugar in the world.
23. You can’t dump one cup of sugar into the ocean and expect to get syrup. If everybody sweetened her own cup of water, then things would begin to change. – Florence Kennedy
24. You have filled my tea with lumps of sugar, and though I asked most distinctly for bread and butter, you have given me cake. I am known for the gentleness of my disposition, and the extraordinary sweetness of my nature, but I warn you, Miss Cardew, you may go too far. – Oscar Wilde
25. I love dessert. All kinds. But there’s something about ice cream that makes me happy. I am drawn to its simplicity…I am perplexed by the endless supply of constantly growing flavor options. And I am always in the mood for sprinkles and a sugar cone. – Rachel Nichols.
26. Sugar brings happiness. Eating it once or twice a week in a dessert, that’s what life is about. There is nothing wrong with it. – Adriano Zumbo.
27. Just when you’re beginning to think pretty well of people, you run across somebody who puts sugar on sliced tomatoes. – Will Cuppy.
28. Sugar and spice (and everything nice)
29. I seek constantly to improve my manners and graces, for they are the sugar to which all are attracted. – Og Mandino.
30. Too many people look around and see what’s missing and forget the sugar.
31. Either you love sugar or you’re wrong.
32. Discretion is the salt, and fancy the sugar of life; the one preserves, the other sweetens it.
— Christian Nestell Bovee
33. I add sugar to my sugar.
34. Ecstasy is a glass full of tea and a piece of sugar in the mouth. – Alexander Pushkin.
35. It’s all sugar, honey.
36. Kindness is like sugar: it makes life a little sweeter.
37. Sugar candy tasted better than bitter truth. – Toba Beta.
38. Sugar and chocolate, anything that boosts your serotonin levels, is something people, I think, crave. – Dylan Lauren.
39. Sweets to the sweet. – William Shakespeare.
40. It’s not the sugar that makes the tea sweet, but the stirring. – Sam Levenson.
41. Frankly, I don’t trust any diet that doesn’t allow sugar. – Bethany Frankel
42. You had me at sugar.
43. Everybody’s got their poison, and mine is sugar. – Derrick Rose
44. Did someone say sugar?
45. Call me cute and feed me sugar.
46. Sugar understands me.
47. A day without sugar is a day without smiles.
48. Sugar and spice and everything nice.
49. To pile up honey upon sugar, and sugar upon honey, to an interminable tedious sweetness.
— Charles Lamb
50. Pretty please with sugar.
51. I love sugar and sugar loves me.
That’s it for this post, friends! I hope you enjoyed these fun sugar quotes, guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth!
About the Author
Janice Thompson is an author, baker, and all-around mischief maker! She has overcome a host of baking catastrophes, including a toppled wedding cake, to learn more about the baking process. Janice has published over 150 books for the Christian market but particularly enjoys writing recipes and baking devotions. To learn more about Janice or to drop her a note, visit her About the Author page.