If you’re like most folks you love pie! That hot, crispy crust. That luscious filling. Pie really is the perfect food!
The Benefits of Pie
Pie has several qualities that make it a popular dessert in the states and beyond:
- Delicious flavors: Pies come in a wide variety of flavors, ranging from fruit pies like apple, cherry, and blueberry, to cream pies like chocolate, banana, and coconut.
- Versatility: Pies can be made with a variety of ingredients, allowing for endless flavor combinations. You can experiment with different fruits, spices, creams, and even savory fillings like quiches or meat pies.
- Comforting and nostalgic: Pie is often associated with feelings of comfort and nostalgia. It’s a classic dessert that many people grew up enjoying with their families. The aroma of a freshly baked pie can evoke warm memories and a sense of coziness.
- Texture contrast: A well-made pie offers a delightful textural contrast between the flaky crust and the soft, juicy filling. The crust provides a satisfying crunch, while the filling is often luscious and moist. This combination of textures adds to the overall enjoyment of the dessert.
- Homemade appeal: Making a pie from scratch can be a labor of love. From rolling out the dough to preparing the filling, the process of making a pie can be rewarding and fulfilling. Sharing a homemade pie with friends and family can create a sense of connection and appreciation.
- Presentation: Pies are visually appealing, especially when beautifully presented. The golden-brown crust, vibrant colors of the filling, and sometimes decorative lattice or crumb toppings make pies an attractive dessert to serve on special occasions.
- Pairing possibilities: Pies can be enjoyed on their own, but they also pair well with various accompaniments. For example, a scoop of vanilla ice cream complements warm fruit pies, while a dollop of whipped cream adds a creamy touch to cream pies.
Pie Quotes to Inspire You to Bake
I thought it would be great fun to collect some “sayings” about pie to inspire you to bake! Enjoy these “delicious” pie quotes!
1. You are the apple to my pie!
2. A bad day eating apple pie is better than a good day doing anything else.
3. Freshly baked apple pie makes the world go round.
4. Pilates? Oh, heavens no. I thought you said “apple pie and lattes.”
5. Things that really matter are the things that gold can’t buy, so let’s have another cup o’ coffee and let’s have another piece o’ pie. — Irving Berlin
6. Is it really a trip to your grandma’s house until you’ve had some apple pie?
7. Humility means you’re willing to give someone a bigger slice of the pie. – Frederick Lenz
8. There’s no problem too large that apple pie can’t fix
9. “We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie.” ~David Mamet
10. Give everyone a chance to have a piece of the pie. If the pie’s not big enough, make a bigger pie. – Dave Thomas
11. I’m as American as apple pie!
12. Apple pie totally counts as a serving of fruit.
13. If you say you have apple pie, I might have to marry you.
14. I have “fillings” for you!
15. Our hobbies include eating pie and thinking about the next time we‘ll be eating pie.
16. Pie… it fills the cracks of the heart. Go away, pain. — Kevin James
17. I know that I am essentially a sort of fun-loving person who really just wants to sit around and eat pies. — Nora Ephron
18. Apple pie totally counts as a serving of fruit.
19. Don’t get fancy. Have you cooked an apple pie? You don’t know what you did wrong? Do this: Take two or three apples. Put them on a table. Study them. — Paul Prudhomme
20. If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. – Carl Sagan
21. Apple pie is my therapy.
22. The older I get, the more I become an apple pie, sparkling cider kind of guy. — Scott Foley
23. But I, when I undress me, each night, upon my knees, will ask the Lord to bless me, with apple-pie and cheese. ~ Eugene Field
24. Cut my pie into four pieces, I don’t think I could eat eight. ? Yogi Berra
25. You can’t carve up the world. It’s not a pie. – Patti Smith
26. It could be argued that there is an element of entertainment in every pie, as every pie is inherently a surprise by virtue of its crust. ? Janet Clarkson, Pie: A Global History
27. I like to make pies. That’s kind of my new obsession – peach, blueberry, apple, strawberry. I make a really good pumpkin pie with real pumpkin. — Morgan Saylor
28. A boy doesn’t have to go to war to be a hero; he can say he doesn’t like pie when he sees there isn’t enough to go around.” ~E.W. Howe
29. So the pie isn’t perfect? Cut it into wedges. Stay in control, and never panic. – Martha Stewart
30. It could be argued that there is an element of entertainment in every pie, as every pie is inherently a surprise by virtue of its crust. — Janet Clarkson
31. In pie we crust!
32. A cherry pie is . . . ephemeral. From the moment it emerges from the oven it begins a steep decline: from too hot to edible to cold to stale to mouldy, and finally to a post-pie state where only history can tell you that it was once considered food. The pie is a parable of human life.” ? Nick Harkaway, The Gone-Away World
33. America has developed a pie tradition unequivocally and unapologetically at the sweet end of the scale, and at no time is this better demonstrated than at Thanksgiving.” ? Janet Clarkson, Pie: A Global History
34. In his bachelor’s heart of hearts, he loved pie with an intensity that alarmed him. Yet, when he was offered seconds, he usually refused. “Wouldn’t you like another piece of this nice coconut pie, Father?” he might be asked. “No, I don’t believe I’d care for anymore,” he’d say. An outright lie! ? Jan Karon
35. Pumpkin pie, spice, and everything nice.
36. This morning I cooked up a pie for the party tomorrow, so why am I constantly itchin’ to run to the kitchen and gobble the whole blueberry pie. (unknown)
37. For dessert, I try my very first bite of fresh blueberry pie, a bite so flakey, tangy, and gooey that I can not deny. If I have another scrumptious slice, I think this just might become my vice, until I eat so much that I keel over and die! (Unknown)
38. What moistens the lip and what brightens the eye? What calls back the past like the rich pumpkin pie?” — John Greenleaf Whittier
39. Instead of doing cinnamon, nutmeg, and all those baking spices I’ll have one spice that’s for sweets, and that’s pumpkin pie spice. — Sandra Lee
40. No one wants a cherry pie that bites back. – RuPaul
41. There’s no diet list I’ll follow that would rule out cherry pie. — Edgar Guest
42. Here’s an idea: let’s get over ourselves, buy a cherry pie, and go fall in love with life. — Tom Robbins
43. In all my work, I try to say – ‘You may be given a load of sour lemons, why not try to make a dozen lemon meringue pies?’ – Maya Angelou
44. I only have pumpkin pies for you.
45. Sweet as pumpkin pie.
46. Find someone who looks at you the way I look at pumpkin pie.
47. Life needs more pumpkin pie and prayers.
48. Only very clever man can bite pie without breaking crust. – Charlie Chan
49. I don’t think a really good pie can be made without a dozen or so children peeking over your shoulder as you stoop to look in at it every little while. – John Gould
50. Pies mean Thanksgiving and Christmas and picnics. ? Janet Clarkson, Pie: A Global History